New Exhibit: Orlando Remembered

Orlando Remembered, a committee of Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. is dedicated to preservation of the memories of Orlando, “The City Beautiful,” primarily as it was during the period of 1930 to 1950. Founded in 1981 by Don Acito and Andy Serros, Orlando Remembered has partnered with leading businesses, local governments, institutes of higher education, and area historical societies, in their efforts to remember the landmarks of Orlando’s past. To date, the organization has constructed and displayed 18 exhibits throughout the downtown area.

RICHES Mosaic Interface hosts digital versions based on the Orlando Remembered displays. The online exhibits expand the reach of the physical displays, allowing Orlando’s past to be viewed by a wider audience of scholars, students, and the general public.

Visit our Orlando Remembered exhibit:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/orlandorememberedhome

New Exhibit: Citizen Curator Project

RICHES includes a permanent archive of Resilience: Remembering Pulse and Pulse: A Consultation, plus five additional projects: Florida Pride and Shame by Amanda Polk; Black in White by Kimari Jackson; Literature for the Resistance by Jaclyn Crawford; Central Florida Pulse: The Tragedy of Place and the Power of Activism by Mia Tangor, Carys O’Neill and Savannah Bitto; and A Cultural Poultice by Abigail Padfield, Debra Fuqua, Kathryn Girvan, and Christopher Foley. These projects were created by undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Visual Arts and Design and graduate students in the Texts and Technology Ph.D. program.
Dr. Connie Lester, Associate Professor of History and Director of RICHES was part of faulty group that taught the Texts and Technology course.
The Citizen Curator Project of Central Florida was made possible by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant.

Click here to browse the exhibit.

New Item: Oral Memoirs of Patty Sheehan

An oral history interview of Commissioner Patty Sheehan, Orlando’s first openly gay city commissioner. The interview was conducted by Kalynn Smith at Sheehan’s offices at Orlando City Hall in Orlando, Florida, on April 11th, 2017. Some of the topics covered include an introduction, how the challenges of growing up gay shaped her activism, how coming out affected her familial relationships and career, identifying items in her collection, Michael’s March and bringing together the gay and lesbian communities over HIV/AIDS, the stigma of HIV/AIDS and how shame kills, facing discrimination while running for office, civil rights activism as city commissioner, becoming an advocate for marriage equality, and her favorite accomplishments as City Commissioner.

To view this item visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/9723.

 

 

New Additions to The Epinal American Cemetery Collection

The Florida Epinal Cemetery Project seeks to tell the stories of the U.S. servicemen from Florida buried in the Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in eastern France. The U.S. Army soldiers and airmen buried in Epinal gave their lives to secure the liberation of France and in the fight against Nazi Germany in 1944 and 1945. Starting in 2015, and over the next several years, students in Dr. Amelia Lyons’ classes are writing biographies of the men from Florida to honor them, to learn the skills of historical research, and to bring their memory to a new generation in Florida and in France.

To view the collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=172&lat=36.257929&lon=-41.945179&zoom=3.

New Additions to Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District Collection

The Seminole Soil Conservation District organization began in 1948 with a goal of assisting agricultural interests. Over the years, the Seminole County Soil and Water Conservation District also began to concentrate on the development and management of recreational enterprises. Their interests included inventory and evaluations for land uses and solving issues concerning soil and water resources.

 

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/browse?collection=204.

New Additions to the Oviedo Historical Society Collection

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society’s History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate student Porsha Dossie and include photographs, newspaper articles, maps, programs, pamphlets, booklets, and deeds. These new items were donated to RICHES from the private collections of Dan Beistel, Ida Boston, Desta Horner, Karen Jacobs, Jacqueline Morgan, and Colene Ward.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

New Additions to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection

Dr. Mary Mcleod Bethune with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1953.

RICHES MI has added a number of photographs to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection. The Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation is located on the Bethune-Cookman University campus at 640 Doctor Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard in Daytona Beach, Florida. The foundation was established on March 17, 1953, as “a place to awaken people and to have them realize that there is something in the world they can do.”  The foundation is housed in the Mary McLeod Bethune Home, which was inhabited by educator and civil rights activist Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955). Also known as “The Retreat,” the home was built by African American A. B. Raddick around 1905. In 1913, chemist James Norris Gamble and Thomas White of White Sewing Machine Company, purchased the home for Bethune. On December 2, 1974, the historic house was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. In 2006, the museum closed for renovation and conservation. It reopened in April of 2011.