Nearly 100 Years of the The Sanford Herald are now digitally available on RICHESMI™!

On August 22, 1908, the Sanford Herald published its first issue. Featuring articles about the cost of purchasing and developing farm land and details of orange culture, the first issue was named the “industrial edition” as Sanford was then known as the Gate City to Florida.

News of the past is no longer limited to newspaper print as the result of a collaborative partnership between the Museum of Seminole County History, the Sanford Museum and the UCF Department of History.

Seminole County Historical Society led the initiative by raising funds to cover the costs of digitizing original newspapers and microfilm published from 1908 to 2005. Over 300 rolls of microfilm were digitized by local business partner, EZ Photo Scan. The Sanford Historical Society, Inc., also joined the effort with fundraising, making the project a true working partnership. Together, these historical societies dedicated countless hours to review completed scans, provide quality control and assure that scans were legible. Without their tireless effort, this treasure trove of newspapers would remain physically archived without digital preservation.

Final digitized images were supplied to RICHES™ to complete optical character recognition (OCR), a technology that enables the conversion of various types of documents into editable and searchable data. The OCR process ran continuously for nearly six months. Earlier newspapers were very slow to process due to print quality, but the more recent documents are processing much faster. Issues published from 1908 to 1962 are currently available digitally. As the OCR process continues, newspapers beyond 1962 will also be available through RICHES™.

You can view the current Sanford Herald 1908-1962 collection here: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/sanford_herald/

Happy Holidays from RICHES!

Happy Holidays from all of us at RICHES!

Check out this Army Air Forces menu created for Christmas of 1943, from the private collection of Thomas Cook. The cover shows Santa Claus piloting an airplane over an airbase. There are illustrations of a decorated Christmas tree, a palm tree and what appears to be orange trees.

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/1016

New Additions to the Friends of Lake Apopka Collection

The Friends of Lake Apopka (FOLA) is a citizen advocacy group with the mission of restoring Lake Apopka in Orange County and Lake County, Florida. Due to poor farming practices along its shores, Lake Apopka has become one of the largest polluted lakes in Florida. This collection features various archival items related to the restoration of the lake.

To view this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=153&zoom=7.

New Additions to the Sky Lake Collection

Sky Lake is a residential community and unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida. It is located approximately seven miles south of Downtown Orlando between Lancaster Road and Sand Lake Road. The community was developed in late 1950s and 1960s by Hymen Lake. Houses originally sold in the range of $10,000 to $15,000. In the 1970s, Sky Lake became one of the first housing developments to be racially integrated. The community was originally proposed to include one thousand homes within the middle of the square mile block and a ring of commercial developments along the perimeter.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=179&zoom=13&lat=28.46103&lon=-81.39257.

New Items – Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection

Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection includes images, documents, and other archival items donated by Dr. Calvin “Cal” D. Fowler, who was the manager of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 14 during the final three launches of Project Mercury.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

New Collection – Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection

The Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection was donated by Andrew M. Foster, a descendant of Captain Charles Henry Coe (1856-1954). Capt. Coe was born in Torrington, Connecticut, on February 3, 1856, to William Henry Coe (1824-1879), who founded the town of Glencoe, and Deborah Little Archer Coe (1824-1912). In 1874, his family migrated to Jacksonville, Florida, due to his father’s poor health. At age 18, Coe began working for the Jacksonville Tri-Weekly Union. In 1875, Coe moved to New Smyrna Beach and started his first newspaper, The Florida Star. Coe was appointed Deputy Collector of Customs for the port at New Smyrna in 1879, after his father died. In 1880, Coe moved to Glencoe and began producing photographs. Seven years later, he moved to back to Torrington, where he met and married Emma Sopia Johnson (1846-1931). The following year, Coe moved to Asheville, North Carolina, and then later to Highlands, where he established The Highlands Star. In 1889, he moved to Washington, D.C. to work for the Government Printing Office (GPO).

Coe published Red Patriots: The Story of the Seminoles, a book about the plight of the Seminole tribe. A copy of Red Patriots was given to every member of Congress, which later passed legislation allowing Seminole land rights in Florida. In 1912, Coe returned to Florida and spent the next 20 years traveling the coast in his cabin cruiser called The Buccaneer. After retiring from the GPO in 1921, Coe spent much of his time exploring Florida’s coast as an amateur archaelogist and publishing books, including Juggling a Rope (1927), The Art of Knife Throwing (1931), and Debunking the So-Called Spanish Mission (1941). He died of pneumonia on March 23, 1954.

New Item: Cocoa Beach Glass Bank

RICHES has just added “Cocoa Beach Glass Bank in 3D,” a video simulation of the Glass Bank as it appear in 1963. The video was produced by the Institute for Simulation & Training and the College of Arts & Humanities at the University of Central Florida. Also known as the First Federal Savings and Loan Building, construction for the Cocoa Beach Glass Bank began in 1960 and was completed in 1961. The First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Cocoa officially opened the following year. The Sky Room Restaurant also opened in 1962, but closed in 1963. In 1963, construction on the external Express Elevator began and Ramon’s Rainbow Room opened. Ramon’s closed in 1970 and was replaced by Marby’s Rainbow Room that same year. Marby’s, which was not replaced by a new restaurant, closed in 1972. The First Federal Savings and Loan Association was acquired by the First FA in 1983. Reliance Bank occupied the banking facilities on the first floor from 1985 to 1995, when the name was changed to Huntington Bank. In 2004, the lower portion of the building had no tenants. Demolition of the building was approved in 2014 and the building was razed the following year.

New Collection – The Maitland News Collection

The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by The Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. The Maitland News Collection includes a number of early issues published from 1926 to 1927. Newspapers were contributed by the Maitland Historical Museum, as part of the Art & History Museums – Maitland.

New Additions to the Rock Collection

The Rock Collection explores the history of rock music in Central Florida. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate Geoffrey Cravero and include photographs, newspaper articles, ticket stubs, and videos. These new items were donated to RICHES from the private collection of professional photographer Alicia Lyman and features the following local bands and artists: Beeb$ and Her Money Makers, Gargamel!, JunkieRush, Kaleigh Baker and the Downgetters, The Legendary JC’s, Meka Nism, MILKA, Sunny Raskin, and The Supervillains.

New Additions to the Oviedo Historical Society Collection

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society’s History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate student Porsha Dossie and include photographs, newspaper articles, maps, programs, pamphlets, booklets, and deeds. These new items were donated to RICHES from the private collections of Dan Beistel, Ida Boston, Desta Horner, Karen Jacobs, Jacqueline Morgan, and Colene Ward.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

New Collection: Oviedo Historical Society Collection

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society’s History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate student Porsha Dossie and include photographs, newspaper articles, maps, and artwork. Items were donated to RICHES from the private collections of Sue Blackwood, Arthur Evans, and Dane Kolb.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

New Additions to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection

Dr. Mary Mcleod Bethune with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1953.

RICHES MI has added a number of photographs to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection. The Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation is located on the Bethune-Cookman University campus at 640 Doctor Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard in Daytona Beach, Florida. The foundation was established on March 17, 1953, as “a place to awaken people and to have them realize that there is something in the world they can do.”  The foundation is housed in the Mary McLeod Bethune Home, which was inhabited by educator and civil rights activist Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955). Also known as “The Retreat,” the home was built by African American A. B. Raddick around 1905. In 1913, chemist James Norris Gamble and Thomas White of White Sewing Machine Company, purchased the home for Bethune. On December 2, 1974, the historic house was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. In 2006, the museum closed for renovation and conservation. It reopened in April of 2011.

New Collection – Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens Collection

Albín Polášek’s home and art studio in 1950.

We’ve added a new collection to RICHES MI: the Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens Collection. This collection features photographs, oral histories, and other items donated by the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, located at 633 Osceola Avenue in Winter Park, Florida. Albin Polasek, known internationally for his sculptures, retired to Lake Osceola in Winter Park in 1950. The same year that he had moved to Florida, Polasek suffered from a stroke, which paralyzed the right side of his body. Seven months later, he married one of his former students, Ruth Sherwood, who died just two years later. Despite being confined to a wheelchair, Polasek was able to create 18 major works in his later years. In 1961, he married Emily Muska Kubat and the set up the Albin Polasek Foundation, opening up the Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens, located in parts of Polasek’s home and studio, which featured his personal galleries, chapel, and gardens. On May 19, 1965, Polasek passed away and was buried beside his first wife at Palm Cemetery.

Central Florida Music History Collection

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of music in Central Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Central Florida’s musical heritage is as rich as it is diverse, dating back to the Spanish settlers of the sixteenth century. Over the next 500 years, the region became a melting pot of Anglo-American folk and country music, African-American blues and jazz, Cuban and Latin music, traditional Native American music, gospel, rock, classical, pop, reggae, punk, metal, hip hop, and dance music. The cultural diversity of the people is reflected in the broad range of the music. Today, Central Florida is a hot spot for homegrown music and a popular stop for internationally touring artists.

Some of the most popular artists of the twentieth century called Florida home, including Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Jim Morrison, Gram Parsons, Sam Rivers, the Allman Brothers Band, Jimmy Buffett, Zora Neale Hurston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Vassar Clements, Gloria Estefan, Tom Petty, Johnny Tillotson, Shel Silverstein, Arturo Sandoval, and Mel Tillis. The musical landscape of Florida has played an integral role in defining Floridian culture.

Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection

Collection of images, documents, and other archival items donated by Dr. Calvin “Cal” D. Fowler, who was the manager of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 14 during the final three launches of Project Mercury.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Milane Theatre Collection

The Milane Theatre was built at 203 South Magnolia Avenue, the former location of the Star Theatre, an abandoned movie house. Scroggs and Ewing, architects from Georgia, prepared the plans for the Milane. The name of the new theater was derived from the combination of the Milane Amusement Company president and vice president: Frank L. Miller and Edward F. Lane, respectively. The Milane opened in July of 1923 and seated 823 patrons.

In 1933, the Milane was sold to Frank and Stella Evans, investors from Lake Mary, Florida. The new owners renamed their business the Ritz Theater and held the property until the 1990s. However, the Ritz struggled financially in the 1960s and closed in 1978 due to failure to compete with the new multiplex theaters. The building remained vacant until 1984, when it reopened as the Showtime Cantina. The Showtime Cantina closed in 1988 and remained vacant and in decay.

In the mid-1990s, Ritz Community Theater Projects, Inc. acquired the property and began rehabilitation in 1998. On May 6, 2000, the theater reopened as the Helen Stairs Theatre in honor of the citizen who led the restoration project, Helen Stairs. The following year, the location was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008, additional renovations were completed and the theater was renamed the Wayne Densch Performing Arts Center in honor of the Wayne Densch Charitable Trust Fund for contributing to the renovations fund.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

New Smyrna Beach Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

In 1758, the first European settlers arrived in present-day New Smyrna Beach and Dr. Andrew Turnbull established the colony of New Smyrna. Most of the colony’s settlers were from Greece, Italy, and Minorca, Spain. Turnbull planned for the town to produce hemp, sugarcane, indigo, and rum, but the colony quickly collapsed due to insect-born diseases and raids by nearby Native American tribes. Most of the survivors resettled in St. Augustine.

In 1887, New Smyrna was incorporated. In 1892, Henry Morrison Flagler expanded his Florida East Coast Railway to the area, sparking growth in the city. During the Prohibition of the 1920s, New Smyrna served as a site for moonshine stills and hideouts for rum-runners. In 1947, the city was renamed New Smyrna Beach when it annexed Coronado Beach.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Winter Springs Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Winter Springs, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

The first Euro-American individual own land in present-day Winter Springs was Moses Levy of New York, who acquired a land grant from the Spanish Crown prior to American acquisition of Florida in 1821. In 1843, Henry Gee and son John Henry Gee acquired part of Levy’s grant via Governor Richard Call.However, the courts voided the land grant in 1852 and returned the grant back to Levy, Philip K. Yonge, and other settlers.

The settlement of various wharves in in the area was centered mostly around Lake Jesup. With the establishment of the Lake Jesup Steamboat Company, the present-day Winter Springs area served as a major location for steamboat transportation.

Winter Springs was not incorporated as a town until 1959, when it was originally called North Orlando. In 1962, the city was rechartered as Winter Springs. In 1972, it was incorporated as a city.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society is located in Geneva, an unincorporated area of Seminole County. The first regular meeting was held at the Geneva Community Center on November 30, 1952. Alice Coffee Guyton served as the society’s first president.

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society established the Museum of Geneva History, located at 165 First Street, in 1965. W. G. Kilbee and his wife donated the land that the museum was built on. The museum was dedicated in 1966, with Leo Rehbinder cutting the ribbon and Judge Don Cheney of Orlando making a speech. In 1977, a second larger room was added to the building. The Society also owns Fort Lane Park.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Oviedo Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Oviedo, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

The Timucuan Native Americans originally inhabited the area of present-day Oviedo, although the remains of their settlements have disappeared. Homesteaders arrived along the shores of Lake Jesup in 1865 just after the Civil War ended and began growing celery and citrus. The area was called the Lake Jesup Community until March 13, 1879, when postmaster Andrew Aulin, a Swedish immigrant, chose the name Oviedo.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Sanford State Farmers’ Market Collection

The Sanford State Farmers’ Market Collection contains images of the market’s history and its significance to local and state agriculture. The Sanford State Farmers’ Market was founded in 1934 in order to provide a central location in which farmers would sell their produce directly to consumers. The idea for the Sanford State Farmers’ Market was devised by Fred Dorner and Gus Schmach, both members of the Seminole Agricultural Club. Sanford Chamber of Commerce president Harry Papworth also contributed to the development of the market. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) authorized construction plans on June 11, 1934. On June 20, 1934, the City of Sanford donated a portion of the Alex V. French properties to the State Marketing Board, which selected the northwest corner of French Avenue and Thirteenth Street. The board approved the installation of telegraph and telephone equipment, as well as a three-pump filling station.

The Sanford State Farmer’s Market opened on December 18, 1934. By 1939, the Farmers’ Market was bringing a total volume of business of $627,065.81. In 1941, business volume reached over $700,000. On April 4, 1957, a fire destroyed the building and caused damages estimated at $2.5 million. Reconstruction began almost immediately and the Farmers’ Market was expected to re-open by the fall of 1957. In 1991, plans were created to restore, preserve, and convert the citrus packing house into a museum.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records from the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation located on the Bethune-Cookman University campus at 640 Doctor Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard in Daytona Beach, Florida. The foundation was established on March 17, 1953, as “a place to awaken people and to have them realize that there is something in the world they can do.”

The foundation is housed in the Mary McLeod Bethune Home, which was inhabited by educator and civil rights activist Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955). Also known as “The Retreat,” the home was built by African American A. B. Raddick around 1905. In 1913, chemist James Norris Gamble and Thomas White of White Sewing Machine Company, purchased the home for Bethune. On December 2, 1974, the historic house was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. In 2006, the museum closed for renovation and conservation. It reopened in April of 2011.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Lone Sailor Navy Memorial History Project Collection

Collection of digital images and oral histories related to the former Recruit Training Center Orlando (RTC Orlando) for the United States Navy. The training center transformed raw recruits into highly effective sailors. This process took place over an intensive eight-week training period, commonly referred to as “boot camp.” RTC Orlando occupied roughly one half of the former Naval Training Center Orlando (NTC Orlando), which was located at present day Baldwin Park, Orlando, Florida. Between 1968 and 1994, over 650,000 men and women graduated from RTC Orlando.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Sanford Riverfront Collection

The Sanford Riverfront Collection consists of images depicting the history and significance of Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River to the City of Sanford, Florida. The waterways that surround Sanford have provided transportation, commerce, defense, and leisure activities for the city’s citizens and visitors since its creation in 1877.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Ice Houses of Sanford Collection

This collection features the various ice houses and ice plants that have existed in Sanford, Florida. Ice manufacturing became a prominent industry in the United States by the beginning of the twentieth century. Most ice houses consisted of two stories with the first floor used as food storage and the second floor used to store the ice. Ice houses provided blocks of ice for home ice boxes and allowed agricultural businesses to transport their fruits and vegetables in refrigerated vehicles.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Sanford Avenue Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Sanford Avenue, the main street in Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Georgetown was established by the city’s founder, Henry Shelton Sanford, in the 1870s. The neighborhood spans along Sanford Avenue, with its commercial district between First Street and Fifth Street, and its historic district between Seventh Street and Tenth Street. Though originally much smaller, Georgetown spanned to its present boundaries from East Second Street to Celery Avenue and from Sanford Avenue to Mellonville Avenue. Georgetown thrived at its height from circa 1880 to 1940, particularly in agriculture and transportation.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Seminole County Public Schools Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the educational history of Seminole County, Florida. Items from this collection are donated by the Student Museum and UCF Public History Center.

The Student Museum has collaborated with the University of Central Florida and established the UCF Public History Center (PHC). All of the Student Museum’s collections are presently housed at the PHC. The goal of the PHC is to promote access to history through ground-breaking research connecting local to global, provide cutting-edge hands-on educational programs for students and visitors, and to engage the community in contributing to and learning from history.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Hotel Forrest Lake Collection

Originally named after the Sanford Mayor and president of Seminole County Bank, the Forrest Lake Hotel has also been known as the Mayfair Inn and was briefly occupied by the Sanford Naval Academy.

In 1916, construction of the building began. Local architect Elton J. Moughton designed the hotel. In 1925, Hotel Forrest Lake opened and became a popular destination for tourists visiting Sanford.

By 1929, the hotel closed after the stock market crash and the downfall of Florida’s tourism and real estate boom. William E. Kirchhoff leased the building in 1934 and the hotel reopened in 1935 with the new name Mayfair Hotel. Under Kirchhoff’s ownership, the Mayfair Hotel became known as one of the finest hotels in the South.

Kirchhoff sold the hotel in 1948 to Horace Stoneham, owner of the New York Giants. Stoneham then sold the building to the Bernard McFadden Foundation, who later sold it to the New Tribes Mission. The New Tribes Mission’s goal is to reach tribes who have no access to the Gospel through translated publications and missionary work.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Georgetown Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Georgetown, an African-American community in Sanford, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Georgetown was established by the city’s founder, Henry Shelton Sanford, in the 1870s. The neighborhood spans along Sanford Avenue, with its commercial district between First Street and Fifth Street, and its historic district between Seventh Street and Tenth Street. Though originally much smaller, Georgetown spanned to its present boundaries from East Second Street to Celery Avenue and from Sanford Avenue to Mellonville Avenue. Georgetown thrived at its height from circa 1880 to 1940, particularly in agriculture and transportation.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection

The Student Museum and UCF Public History Center Collection encompasses a broad range of materials and items ranging from the late 19th Century into the present. The collection includes artifacts, photographs, documents, videocassettes, and other historical records pertaining to the history of the Sanford Grammar School, the Sanford community through the years, and the history of teaching and learning within the United States from the 19th century to the 2010s.

The Student Museum has collaborated with the University of Central Florida and established the UCF Public History Center (PHC). All of the Student Museum’s collections are presently housed at the PHC. The goal of the PHC is to promote access to history through ground-breaking research connecting local to global, provide cutting-edge hands-on educational programs for students and visitors, and to engage the community in contributing to and learning from history.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Daytona Beach Collection

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of Daytona Beach, Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Daytona Beach was originally inhabited by the Timucua before the arrival of Spaniards in 1513. After the Timucua were virtually exterminated following contact with Europeans, the area was frequented by Seminoles from Georgia and Alabama, up until the Second Seminole War. During British occupation of Florida (1763-1783), King’s Road was built, extending from St. Augustine, passing through Daytona, and ending in New Smyrna Beach. After the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), Spain regained Florida, and, in 1804, Samuel Williams was granted 3,000 acres of land in Daytona from the Spanish Crown. Williams established a cotton, rice, and sugarcane plantation. During the Second Seminole War, Seminoles razed the plantation, while Williams’ son, Samuel Hill Williams, fled.

In 1871, Mathias Day, Jr., a migrant from Mansfield, Ohio, purchased a large tract of land along the west bank of the Halifax River, which included the former Williams Plantation. With the construction of Day’s hotel, today’s Daytona Beach Historic District was created. In 1876, residents named the city “Daytona,” in honor of Day, when the area was incorporated as a town. Growth continued in 1886 when the St. Johns & Halifax River Railway extended to Daytona.

In 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, Kingston, and Seabreeze merged together as Daytona Beach, in an effort led by J. B. Kahn. By this time, the beach had been nicknamed “The World’s Most Famous Beach.” Automobile and motorcycle races began in 1902, due to the smooth, compacted sand that covered the beach. Daytona Beach became the site of various land speed record attempts. On March 8, 1836, the first stock car race was held at the Daytona Beach Road Course, which is located in present-day Ponce Inlet. William France, Sr. and the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) established the Daytona International Speedway in 1958 to replace the beach course.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Ormond Beach Collection

 

Ormond Beach is a city located in Volusia County, just north of Daytona Beach. Timucuan Indians frequented the area, but it was not settled until 1643, when a group of Quakers arrived after being blown off course. Although relations were originally friendly, Timucuan chief Oseanoha led a raid of the Quaker encampment in 1704, obliterating the population. By 1708, the Spanish settled in the area, until the British took control. The city was named after James Ormond I, an Ango-Irish-Scottish sea captain responsible for transporting Franciscan settlers to Florida on behalf of King Ferdinand VII of Spain. In 1821, the U.S. acquired Florida from Spain, but settlement was delayed by the Second Seminole War.

Following the American Civil War, the area became a popular tourist destinating for wealthy travelers. In 1875, settlers from New Britain, Connecticut, founded the city as New Britain, but the city was incorporated in 1880 as Ormond. The St. Johns & Halifax Railroad arrived in 1886 and the Ormond Hotel was constructe in 1888. The first automobile races were held on a track of beach from Ormond south to Daytona Beach in 1902. As a result, Ormond Beach is nicknamed “The Birthplace of Speed.”

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Henry L. DeForest Collection

Henry L. DeForest was born February 7, 1857 in Derby, Connecticut, and knew Henry Shelton Sanford from childhood. In 1870, DeForest came to Florida seeking better health in the warmer climate. He became Sanford’s agent and helped carry out the work of establishing Sanford, Florida. He managed the contracted workers for Sanford’s groves, especially the contracted Swedes that Sanford brought over in 1871.

By the 1880s, he had married Anna M. Sperry, also from Derby, and had become an established businessman and grove owner in Sanford. He built his general store in 1887 which was the second oldest brick building in Downtown Sanford. His general store was the building where the historic September 1887 fire stopped. DeForest built other commercial buildings in Downtown. His home, known as “The Palms,” was located at 105 Aldean Drive and still stands today. Henry L. DeForest died on December 23, 1902.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.