100 Year Memorial Remembering Roderick Perry Taylor

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can watch the ceremony here.

And check out our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection here!

New Collection: Weeki Wachee Collection

Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry opened Weeki Wachee Springs to the public in October of 1947. At the time, roadside attractions were becoming popular stops along Florida roadways. The attraction consisted of an amalgamation of vendors, an orchid garden, a river boat tour, as well as the star attraction: a mermaid show that took place in an underwater theater. Eventually, the May Museum of the Tropics, an “abandoned Seminole village”, a show called “Birds of Prey”, and a petting zoo were added. After peaking in the 1950s and 1960s, attendance began to decline as theme parks and highways changed the dynamics of Florida’s tourism. The State of Florida took over the attraction as a state park in 2008. Since then, the park has focused on appealing to a modern audience while preserving its history.

Check out our Weeki Wachee Spring Collection:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/63

New Additions to the Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection!

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can browse items from the memorial as well as others in our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection by clicking on the link below:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/55

New Additions to the Orlando Gay Chorus Collection!

The OGC allowed RICHES to digitize their concert programs going all the way back to their very first performance! Follow the link below to browse through some of the earlier programs and check back soon for more additions!

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/206

New Collection: Hillcrest Elementary School Collection

Hillcrest Elementary School is one of Orlando’s oldest schools, opening in 1923. Since the 1980s, it has had a vibrant foreign language component and today it continues that tradition through the Orange County Public Schools Foreign Language Academy.

Visit our Hillcrest Elementary Collection: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/212

Watermark Collection Now Through 2006!

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

Even More New Additions to the Watermark Collection!

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

New Additions to The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

New Collection: Veterans Legacy Program Collection

In 2017, the University of Central Florida was one of three universities selected to launch the National Cemetery Administration’s Veterans Legacy Program Project. The program engaged a team of scholars to make the life stories of veterans buried in the Florida National Cemetery available to the public. The project engages UCF students in research and writing and fosters collaboration between students, faculty and local Central Florida schools to produce interactive curriculum for k-12 students. The corresponding website exhibit uses RICHES Mosaic Interface to create a digital archive of related data. The public can use the project-developed augmented-reality app at more than 100 gravesites at the Florida National Cemetery, where they can access the UCF student-authored biographies of veterans.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/210

Nearly 100 Years of the The Sanford Herald are now digitally available on RICHESMI™!

On August 22, 1908, the Sanford Herald published its first issue. Featuring articles about the cost of purchasing and developing farm land and details of orange culture, the first issue was named the “industrial edition” as Sanford was then known as the Gate City to Florida.

News of the past is no longer limited to newspaper print as the result of a collaborative partnership between the Museum of Seminole County History, the Sanford Museum and the UCF Department of History.

Seminole County Historical Society led the initiative by raising funds to cover the costs of digitizing original newspapers and microfilm published from 1908 to 2005. Over 300 rolls of microfilm were digitized by local business partner, EZ Photo Scan. The Sanford Historical Society, Inc., also joined the effort with fundraising, making the project a true working partnership. Together, these historical societies dedicated countless hours to review completed scans, provide quality control and assure that scans were legible. Without their tireless effort, this treasure trove of newspapers would remain physically archived without digital preservation.

Final digitized images were supplied to RICHES™ to complete optical character recognition (OCR), a technology that enables the conversion of various types of documents into editable and searchable data. The OCR process ran continuously for nearly six months. Earlier newspapers were very slow to process due to print quality, but the more recent documents are processing much faster. Issues published from 1908 to 1962 are currently available digitally. As the OCR process continues, newspapers beyond 1962 will also be available through RICHES™.

You can view the current Sanford Herald 1908-1962 collection here: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/sanford_herald/

New Collection: Pulse Collection

In the early hours of June 12, 2016, an American born security guard named Omar Mir Seddique Mateen shot and killed 49 people and wounded an additional 53 at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. Mateen, who swore allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), was shot and killed by the Orlando Police Department after a three-hour standoff. The incident was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in United States history, the deadliest terrorist attack in the United States since the September 11th attacks of 2001, and the deadliest incident of violence against LGBT people in United States history. Most of the victims were Latino, as the club was hosting a Latin Night at the time of the massacre.

The City of Orlando’s response to the tragedy in the immediate aftermath and throughout the following year is documented in our Pulse Collection. To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/205.

New Additions to The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=3&coll=203.

New Collection: Orlando Gay Chorus Collection

One of the largest mixed gay choirs in the country, the Orlando Gay Chorus is comprised of individuals from all walks of life, ages, and orientations, including gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, as well as straight allies. Their mission is to change hearts and minds in Central Florida and around the world. In the wake of the tragic shooting at Pulse nightclub in June 2016, the chorus performed at a number of vigils, memorials and outreach events. This collection features oral history interviews with members of the chorus who share their experiences with the group as well as their thoughts regarding the tragedy.

Click here to browse the collection.

New Additions to the Friends of Lake Apopka Collection

The Friends of Lake Apopka (FOLA) is a citizen advocacy group with the mission of restoring Lake Apopka in Orange County and Lake County, Florida. Due to poor farming practices along its shores, Lake Apopka has become one of the largest polluted lakes in Florida. This collection features various archival items related to the restoration of the lake.

To view this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=153&zoom=7.

New Additions to the Sky Lake Collection

Sky Lake is a residential community and unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida. It is located approximately seven miles south of Downtown Orlando between Lancaster Road and Sand Lake Road. The community was developed in late 1950s and 1960s by Hymen Lake. Houses originally sold in the range of $10,000 to $15,000. In the 1970s, Sky Lake became one of the first housing developments to be racially integrated. The community was originally proposed to include one thousand homes within the middle of the square mile block and a ring of commercial developments along the perimeter.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=179&zoom=13&lat=28.46103&lon=-81.39257.

New Collection: The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=3&coll=203.

New Collection: Sky Lake Collection

Sky Lake is a residential community and unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida. It is located approximately seven miles south of Downtown Orlando between Lancaster Road and Sand Lake Road. The community was developed in late 1950s and 1960s by Hymen Lake. Houses originally sold in the range of $10,000 to $15,000. In the 1970s, Sky Lake became one of the first housing developments to be racially integrated. The community was originally proposed to include one thousand homes within the middle of the square mile block and a ring of commercial developments along the perimeter.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=179&zoom=13&lat=28.46103&lon=-81.39257.

New Collection: Florida Historical Quarterly Podcast Collection

The Florida Historical Quarterly is the academic journal published four times per year by the Florida Historical Society in cooperation with the Department of History at the University of Central Florida. Each issue features peer-reviewed articles focusing on a wide variety of topics related to Florida history.
To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=5&coll=184.

New Collection: Parramore Collection

Bordered on the east by Division Street and on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (OBT), the Parramore began as an agricultural community. Parramore was historically a segregated African-American community and now comprises three separate downtown neighborhoods: Lake Dot, Callahan, and Holden-Parramore.

Once an economically thriving area and the home of many prominent black businesses and institutions, including the Wells’ Built Hotel, South Street Casino, and Wallace’s Beauty Mill, Parramore suffered under Jim Crow segregation, and has lost 65 percent of its population in the last 50 years. It is now one of Orlando’s poorest neighborhoods, with an unemployment rate of 23.8 percent in 2015. However, neighborhood institutions like the Well’s Built Museum of African American History and Culture, housed in the historic Wells’ Built Hotel, have worked to preserve memorabilia from Orlando’s African-American community and the local civil rights movement. Current plans to revitalize the Parramore area focus on maintaining its black heritage and culture while building new businesses, schools, and improved housing.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=180&zoom=14&lat=28.519458&lon=-81.3941446.

New Collection: Viking Cemetery Collection

Viking Cemetery is one of the last remaining pieces of the small town of Viking, Florida. The area was first settled in 1892 by Major B. Daniels (1860-1947), who used the land largely to grow pineapple, a significant crop in Florida at the time. By 1895, Norwegian immigrant Jens Helseth (1858-1944) moved to the area and also grew pineapple on his 80-acre farm. From these early homesteads, the tiny village of Viking grew, named so due to the abundance of Scandinavian families who settled there. Helseth granted a portion of his homestead to serve as the community cemetery by 1905, the date of the first interment. It has since then served the descendants of Helseth, his family, and friends in the small community. The cemetery is today privately owned by the great-great grandchildren of  Helseth, who maintain the site.

Viking Cemetery has been recorded as part of the Florida Historic Cemetery Recording Project (FLHCRP), a project managed by the Florida Public Archaeology Network (FPAN). This survey was undertaken with the assistance of students from Indian River State College (IRSC) under Dr. Kyle Freund. As part of their class to learn archaeological field methods, students assisted in recording Viking Cemetery. They were also responsible for the production of all metadata associated with the survey. Viking Cemetery is a small historic cemetery that represents interment styles of the early settler period of Florida to today. There are currently 59 grave markers in the cemetery, 10 of which have death dates before 1950.

The mid-20th century in Florida saw a significant population boom after World War II. Generally, the date of 1950 provides an interesting, though in part arbitrary, point of reference to examine the effects of this population increase in regards to grave marker material and style. Of the 10 individual markers dating to before 1950, seven are made of granite and three of marble. After 1950, no grave markers are made of marble and nearly all are manufactured out of granite. This, in small scale, represents shifting consumer choices in grave marker material choices that are exhibited in many historic cemeteries in Florida. The use of marble as a material for grave markers declines as the more durable granite becomes cheaper and easier to procure through the growth of rail lines in the state and the mass distribution systems of companies like Aears, Roebuck & Company and Montgomery Ward. This examination of grave marker material change over time is one of many ways that these important sites allow us to encounter history.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=178&zoom=20&lat=27.520962&lon=-80.357211.

New Collection: Orlando City Hall Collection

Historic artifacts from an exhibit created by Orlando Remembered at the Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit houses objects relating to Orlando’s municipal government. The current building opened in July of 1991. The former city hall was located directly in front of current building and was in operation from 1958 to 1991. The exhibit features photographs and memorabilia from past Orlando mayors dating back to 1932.

Orlando Remembered is a community based group, dedicated to the preservation of Downtown Orlando’s past. To date, the group has constructed 18 exhibits in the downtown area that highlight the current building’s connection to the past.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=173&zoom=14&lat=28.53799&lon=-81.379123.

New Collection: Epinal American Cemetery Collection

The Florida Epinal Cemetery Project seeks to tell the stories of the U.S. servicemen from Florida buried in the Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in eastern France. The U.S. Army soldiers and airmen buried in Epinal gave their lives to secure the liberation of France and in the fight against Nazi Germany in 1944 and 1945. Starting in 2015, and over the next several years, students in Dr. Amelia Lyons’ classes are writing biographies of the men from Florida to honor them, to learn the skills of historical research, and to bring their memory to a new generation in Florida and in France.

To view the collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=172&lat=36.257929&lon=-41.945179&zoom=3.

New Collection: Westinghouse Electric Collection

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business the The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse’s primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its divison headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling, and a top-level decision to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings in the area were leased and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation of Germany in 1998, additional buildings (Quad II and Quad III) were added to the original complex at the Quadrangle. From 1998 to 2003 the Orlando operation was known as Siemens-Westinghouse, after which the name of Westinghouse was dropped. The operation has been known as Siemens from that time forward.

To view the collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/map/?s=1&coll=169.

New Items – Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection

Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection includes images, documents, and other archival items donated by Dr. Calvin “Cal” D. Fowler, who was the manager of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 14 during the final three launches of Project Mercury.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

New Collection – Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection

The Captain Charles Henry Coe Collection was donated by Andrew M. Foster, a descendant of Captain Charles Henry Coe (1856-1954). Capt. Coe was born in Torrington, Connecticut, on February 3, 1856, to William Henry Coe (1824-1879), who founded the town of Glencoe, and Deborah Little Archer Coe (1824-1912). In 1874, his family migrated to Jacksonville, Florida, due to his father’s poor health. At age 18, Coe began working for the Jacksonville Tri-Weekly Union. In 1875, Coe moved to New Smyrna Beach and started his first newspaper, The Florida Star. Coe was appointed Deputy Collector of Customs for the port at New Smyrna in 1879, after his father died. In 1880, Coe moved to Glencoe and began producing photographs. Seven years later, he moved to back to Torrington, where he met and married Emma Sopia Johnson (1846-1931). The following year, Coe moved to Asheville, North Carolina, and then later to Highlands, where he established The Highlands Star. In 1889, he moved to Washington, D.C. to work for the Government Printing Office (GPO).

Coe published Red Patriots: The Story of the Seminoles, a book about the plight of the Seminole tribe. A copy of Red Patriots was given to every member of Congress, which later passed legislation allowing Seminole land rights in Florida. In 1912, Coe returned to Florida and spent the next 20 years traveling the coast in his cabin cruiser called The Buccaneer. After retiring from the GPO in 1921, Coe spent much of his time exploring Florida’s coast as an amateur archaelogist and publishing books, including Juggling a Rope (1927), The Art of Knife Throwing (1931), and Debunking the So-Called Spanish Mission (1941). He died of pneumonia on March 23, 1954.

New Release of RMI

Featured Tab

Browse the Featured Items or Collections.  Also select the Collection Overview to see an explanation of many of our collections.  See all of the Featured Items by clicking the title of that section.   Learn more by watching a Tour of RICHES MI, or reading about our project.  Follow us on social media with the social media buttons in the Learn More section.

Changes include:

  • New Tab on results panel with buttons to search for featured items, featured collections, collection overview, tour and the about.
  • “Follow us” buttons for Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
  • Limits the results of Natural Language search to those with up to 50% relevance to the top item.
  • Drop Zone for new folder in book bag is larger.
  • Bookbag annotations are exported with citations
  • Quick Tour is slower.
  • Spell Check on natural language search
  • Search by collection
  • Connections panel on Bookbag Analysis window moved to below map

Browse by Collection

New Collection – The Maitland News Collection

The Maitland News was a local newspaper originally published by the Maitland Realty Company (and later by The Maitland News Company) which began circulation in April 1926. The Maitland News Collection includes a number of early issues published from 1926 to 1927. Newspapers were contributed by the Maitland Historical Museum, as part of the Art & History Museums – Maitland.

New Additions to the Rock Collection

The Rock Collection explores the history of rock music in Central Florida. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate Geoffrey Cravero and include photographs, newspaper articles, ticket stubs, and videos. These new items were donated to RICHES from the private collection of professional photographer Alicia Lyman and features the following local bands and artists: Beeb$ and Her Money Makers, Gargamel!, JunkieRush, Kaleigh Baker and the Downgetters, The Legendary JC’s, Meka Nism, MILKA, Sunny Raskin, and The Supervillains.

New Additions to the Oviedo Historical Society Collection

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society’s History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate student Porsha Dossie and include photographs, newspaper articles, maps, programs, pamphlets, booklets, and deeds. These new items were donated to RICHES from the private collections of Dan Beistel, Ida Boston, Desta Horner, Karen Jacobs, Jacqueline Morgan, and Colene Ward.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

New Collection: Oviedo Historical Society Collection

The Oviedo Historical Society Collection encompasses historical artifacts donated for digitization at the Oviedo Historical Society’s History Harvest in the Spring semester of 2015. Items in this collection were curated by UCF graduate student Porsha Dossie and include photographs, newspaper articles, maps, and artwork. Items were donated to RICHES from the private collections of Sue Blackwood, Arthur Evans, and Dane Kolb.

The Oviedo Historical Society was organized in November 1973 by a group of citizens. The society is a 501(3) non-profit organization. Its purpose is to help preserve the community identity of Oviedo by collecting and disseminating knowledge about local history, serve as a repository for documents and artifacts relating to Oviedo history, promote the preservation and marking of historic sites and buildings in the Oviedo area and foster interest in local, state, national, and world history.

New Additions to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection

Dr. Mary Mcleod Bethune with First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in 1953.

RICHES MI has added a number of photographs to the Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Collection. The Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation is located on the Bethune-Cookman University campus at 640 Doctor Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard in Daytona Beach, Florida. The foundation was established on March 17, 1953, as “a place to awaken people and to have them realize that there is something in the world they can do.”  The foundation is housed in the Mary McLeod Bethune Home, which was inhabited by educator and civil rights activist Mary McLeod Bethune (1875-1955). Also known as “The Retreat,” the home was built by African American A. B. Raddick around 1905. In 1913, chemist James Norris Gamble and Thomas White of White Sewing Machine Company, purchased the home for Bethune. On December 2, 1974, the historic house was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. In 2006, the museum closed for renovation and conservation. It reopened in April of 2011.

New Collection – Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens Collection

Albín Polášek’s home and art studio in 1950.

We’ve added a new collection to RICHES MI: the Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens Collection. This collection features photographs, oral histories, and other items donated by the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens, located at 633 Osceola Avenue in Winter Park, Florida. Albin Polasek, known internationally for his sculptures, retired to Lake Osceola in Winter Park in 1950. The same year that he had moved to Florida, Polasek suffered from a stroke, which paralyzed the right side of his body. Seven months later, he married one of his former students, Ruth Sherwood, who died just two years later. Despite being confined to a wheelchair, Polasek was able to create 18 major works in his later years. In 1961, he married Emily Muska Kubat and the set up the Albin Polasek Foundation, opening up the Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens, located in parts of Polasek’s home and studio, which featured his personal galleries, chapel, and gardens. On May 19, 1965, Polasek passed away and was buried beside his first wife at Palm Cemetery.

Central Florida Music History Collection

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.

Collection of digital images, documents, and other records depicting the history of music in Central Florida. Series descriptions are based on special topics, the majority of which students focused their metadata entries around.

Central Florida’s musical heritage is as rich as it is diverse, dating back to the Spanish settlers of the sixteenth century. Over the next 500 years, the region became a melting pot of Anglo-American folk and country music, African-American blues and jazz, Cuban and Latin music, traditional Native American music, gospel, rock, classical, pop, reggae, punk, metal, hip hop, and dance music. The cultural diversity of the people is reflected in the broad range of the music. Today, Central Florida is a hot spot for homegrown music and a popular stop for internationally touring artists.

Some of the most popular artists of the twentieth century called Florida home, including Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Jim Morrison, Gram Parsons, Sam Rivers, the Allman Brothers Band, Jimmy Buffett, Zora Neale Hurston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Vassar Clements, Gloria Estefan, Tom Petty, Johnny Tillotson, Shel Silverstein, Arturo Sandoval, and Mel Tillis. The musical landscape of Florida has played an integral role in defining Floridian culture.

Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection

Collection of images, documents, and other archival items donated by Dr. Calvin “Cal” D. Fowler, who was the manager of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 14 during the final three launches of Project Mercury.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.