100 Year Memorial Remembering Roderick Perry Taylor

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can watch the ceremony here.

And check out our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection here!

New Additions to the Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection!

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can browse items from the memorial as well as others in our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection by clicking on the link below:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/55

Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society is located in Geneva, an unincorporated area of Seminole County. The first regular meeting was held at the Geneva Community Center on November 30, 1952. Alice Coffee Guyton served as the society’s first president.

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society established the Museum of Geneva History, located at 165 First Street, in 1965. W. G. Kilbee and his wife donated the land that the museum was built on. The museum was dedicated in 1966, with Leo Rehbinder cutting the ribbon and Judge Don Cheney of Orlando making a speech. In 1977, a second larger room was added to the building. The Society also owns Fort Lane Park.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.