100 Year Memorial Remembering Roderick Perry Taylor

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can watch the ceremony here.

And check out our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection here!

New Collection: Weeki Wachee Collection

Along with a group of investors, Newton Perry opened Weeki Wachee Springs to the public in October of 1947. At the time, roadside attractions were becoming popular stops along Florida roadways. The attraction consisted of an amalgamation of vendors, an orchid garden, a river boat tour, as well as the star attraction: a mermaid show that took place in an underwater theater. Eventually, the May Museum of the Tropics, an “abandoned Seminole village”, a show called “Birds of Prey”, and a petting zoo were added. After peaking in the 1950s and 1960s, attendance began to decline as theme parks and highways changed the dynamics of Florida’s tourism. The State of Florida took over the attraction as a state park in 2008. Since then, the park has focused on appealing to a modern audience while preserving its history.

Check out our Weeki Wachee Spring Collection:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/63

New Item: A Side Walk with the Art Festival

A Side Walk with the Art Festival by Elizabeth Bradley Bentley. The book celebrates two decades of the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival in Winter Park, Florida. Bentley documents the festival’s history using newspaper articles, oral history interviews, personal experiences, scrapbooks, programs and minutes. Each chapter in Section One represents one year of the festival. Several photographs of prize winning displays are included. Section Two is an appendix of winners, judges, officers, committees, commission and associates.

Debuting in 1960, the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival is one of the nation’s oldest, largest, and most prestigious outdoor art festivals. By 2018, after 60 years, the festival attracted more than 350,000 visitors a year. 225 artists are selected from over 1,000 applicants by a panel of three independent judges. Arts and crafts categories include clay, digital art, drawings and pastels, fiber, glass, graphics and printmaking, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media 2D, mixed media 3D, painting, photography, sculpture, watercolor and wood. The festival incorporates hands-on activities for young children and students to encourage participation in and appreciation of the arts.

You can view this item by clicking on the link below:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/10443

New Additions to the Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection!

The Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. held a 100 year memorial on October 10, 2018, for Roderick Perry Taylor of Geneva, Florida, and the other 564 people who died on the R.M.S. Leinster when it was hit by three German torpedoes in the Irish Sea on Oct. 10, 1918. Most of those killed were young military men and women. The ceremony was held at 2:00 PM at the Geneva Community Center. While memorials were also held on the same day in Ireland and other Allied countries, this was the only memorial in the United States that honored the six American soldiers who drowned.

You can browse items from the memorial as well as others in our Geneva Historical & Genealogical Society Collection by clicking on the link below:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/55

New Additions to the Orlando Gay Chorus Collection!

The OGC allowed RICHES to digitize their concert programs going all the way back to their very first performance! Follow the link below to browse through some of the earlier programs and check back soon for more additions!

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/206

New Collection: Hillcrest Elementary School Collection

Hillcrest Elementary School is one of Orlando’s oldest schools, opening in 1923. Since the 1980s, it has had a vibrant foreign language component and today it continues that tradition through the Orange County Public Schools Foreign Language Academy.

Visit our Hillcrest Elementary Collection: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/212

Watermark Collection Now Through 2006!

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

Even More New Additions to the Watermark Collection!

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

New Exhibit: Central Florida Railroad Depots

Digital exhibit created by Dr. Connie L. Lester’s American Economic History class during the Spring Semester of 2014 at the University of Central Florida. The class project entailed a digital exhibit demonstrating the role of railroads, and specifically railroad depots, in the economic life of Central Florida communities. Each student was responsible for one railroad depot, documenting the historic and current economic impact of the depot to the surrounding community. Documentation included historic and current images, economic development statistics, and historic analysis.

Long and arduous journeys by watercraft or stagecoach were the only methods of travel and transportation of goods in Central Florida before the advent of railroads in the 1830s. Following the American Civil War, railroads expanded further across the peninsula, eventually becoming a fully established system by the 1880s. The efforts of Henry Flagler (1830-1913) in the eastern coast and Henry B. Plant (1819-1899) in the central and western portions of the state were largely responsible for the rapid development of the railroad, which connected virtually every major city and town by the 1890s. Although the railroad network peaked in the 1920s, with a number of cities being serviced by multiple lines, the rise of the automobile, air travel and the Great Depression contributed to its decline during the 1930s and 1940s.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/railroaddepots

New Additions to The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/203

New Collection: Veterans Legacy Program Collection

In 2017, the University of Central Florida was one of three universities selected to launch the National Cemetery Administration’s Veterans Legacy Program Project. The program engaged a team of scholars to make the life stories of veterans buried in the Florida National Cemetery available to the public. The project engages UCF students in research and writing and fosters collaboration between students, faculty and local Central Florida schools to produce interactive curriculum for k-12 students. The corresponding website exhibit uses RICHES Mosaic Interface to create a digital archive of related data. The public can use the project-developed augmented-reality app at more than 100 gravesites at the Florida National Cemetery, where they can access the UCF student-authored biographies of veterans.

To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/210

Nearly 100 Years of the The Sanford Herald are now digitally available on RICHESMI™!

On August 22, 1908, the Sanford Herald published its first issue. Featuring articles about the cost of purchasing and developing farm land and details of orange culture, the first issue was named the “industrial edition” as Sanford was then known as the Gate City to Florida.

News of the past is no longer limited to newspaper print as the result of a collaborative partnership between the Museum of Seminole County History, the Sanford Museum and the UCF Department of History.

Seminole County Historical Society led the initiative by raising funds to cover the costs of digitizing original newspapers and microfilm published from 1908 to 2005. Over 300 rolls of microfilm were digitized by local business partner, EZ Photo Scan. The Sanford Historical Society, Inc., also joined the effort with fundraising, making the project a true working partnership. Together, these historical societies dedicated countless hours to review completed scans, provide quality control and assure that scans were legible. Without their tireless effort, this treasure trove of newspapers would remain physically archived without digital preservation.

Final digitized images were supplied to RICHES™ to complete optical character recognition (OCR), a technology that enables the conversion of various types of documents into editable and searchable data. The OCR process ran continuously for nearly six months. Earlier newspapers were very slow to process due to print quality, but the more recent documents are processing much faster. Issues published from 1908 to 1962 are currently available digitally. As the OCR process continues, newspapers beyond 1962 will also be available through RICHES™.

You can view the current Sanford Herald 1908-1962 collection here: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/sanford_herald/

Happy Holidays from RICHES!

Happy Holidays from all of us at RICHES!

Check out this Army Air Forces menu created for Christmas of 1943, from the private collection of Thomas Cook. The cover shows Santa Claus piloting an airplane over an airbase. There are illustrations of a decorated Christmas tree, a palm tree and what appears to be orange trees.

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/1016

New Exhibit: Westinghouse Power Generation in Orlando – The Early Days

The national headquarters of Siemens Energy, Inc., located in east Orlando on Alafaya Trail near University Boulevard—across from the University of Central Florida—is a major part of the Central Florida business community. Almost forgotten, however, is that the original developer and occupant of the site was the Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) of the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, one of America’s foremost industrial companies, whose history spanned a 100-year period from the late 1800s until the late 1990s. In 1998, PGBU was acquired by Siemens, AG of Germany.

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/westinghouse-power-generation-/westinghouse-power-generation-

New Exhibit: Orlando Remembered

Orlando Remembered, a committee of Historical Society of Central Florida, Inc. is dedicated to preservation of the memories of Orlando, “The City Beautiful,” primarily as it was during the period of 1930 to 1950. Founded in 1981 by Don Acito and Andy Serros, Orlando Remembered has partnered with leading businesses, local governments, institutes of higher education, and area historical societies, in their efforts to remember the landmarks of Orlando’s past. To date, the organization has constructed and displayed 18 exhibits throughout the downtown area.

RICHES Mosaic Interface hosts digital versions based on the Orlando Remembered displays. The online exhibits expand the reach of the physical displays, allowing Orlando’s past to be viewed by a wider audience of scholars, students, and the general public.

Visit our Orlando Remembered exhibit:

https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/orlandorememberedhome

New Collection: Pulse Collection

In the early hours of June 12, 2016, an American born security guard named Omar Mir Seddique Mateen shot and killed 49 people and wounded an additional 53 at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. Mateen, who swore allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), was shot and killed by the Orlando Police Department after a three-hour standoff. The incident was the deadliest mass shooting by a single gunman in United States history, the deadliest terrorist attack in the United States since the September 11th attacks of 2001, and the deadliest incident of violence against LGBT people in United States history. Most of the victims were Latino, as the club was hosting a Latin Night at the time of the massacre.

The City of Orlando’s response to the tragedy in the immediate aftermath and throughout the following year is documented in our Pulse Collection. To explore this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/collections/show/205.

New Exhibit: Citizen Curator Project

RICHES includes a permanent archive of Resilience: Remembering Pulse and Pulse: A Consultation, plus five additional projects: Florida Pride and Shame by Amanda Polk; Black in White by Kimari Jackson; Literature for the Resistance by Jaclyn Crawford; Central Florida Pulse: The Tragedy of Place and the Power of Activism by Mia Tangor, Carys O’Neill and Savannah Bitto; and A Cultural Poultice by Abigail Padfield, Debra Fuqua, Kathryn Girvan, and Christopher Foley. These projects were created by undergraduate students enrolled in the School of Visual Arts and Design and graduate students in the Texts and Technology Ph.D. program.
Dr. Connie Lester, Associate Professor of History and Director of RICHES was part of faulty group that taught the Texts and Technology course.
The Citizen Curator Project of Central Florida was made possible by an Institute of Museum and Library Services grant.

Click here to browse the exhibit.

New Item: Oral Memoirs of Patty Sheehan

An oral history interview of Commissioner Patty Sheehan, Orlando’s first openly gay city commissioner. The interview was conducted by Kalynn Smith at Sheehan’s offices at Orlando City Hall in Orlando, Florida, on April 11th, 2017. Some of the topics covered include an introduction, how the challenges of growing up gay shaped her activism, how coming out affected her familial relationships and career, identifying items in her collection, Michael’s March and bringing together the gay and lesbian communities over HIV/AIDS, the stigma of HIV/AIDS and how shame kills, facing discrimination while running for office, civil rights activism as city commissioner, becoming an advocate for marriage equality, and her favorite accomplishments as City Commissioner.

To view this item visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/show/9723.

 

 

New Additions to The Epinal American Cemetery Collection

The Florida Epinal Cemetery Project seeks to tell the stories of the U.S. servicemen from Florida buried in the Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in eastern France. The U.S. Army soldiers and airmen buried in Epinal gave their lives to secure the liberation of France and in the fight against Nazi Germany in 1944 and 1945. Starting in 2015, and over the next several years, students in Dr. Amelia Lyons’ classes are writing biographies of the men from Florida to honor them, to learn the skills of historical research, and to bring their memory to a new generation in Florida and in France.

To view the collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=172&lat=36.257929&lon=-41.945179&zoom=3.

New Additions to Seminole Soil and Water Conservation District Collection

The Seminole Soil Conservation District organization began in 1948 with a goal of assisting agricultural interests. Over the years, the Seminole County Soil and Water Conservation District also began to concentrate on the development and management of recreational enterprises. Their interests included inventory and evaluations for land uses and solving issues concerning soil and water resources.

 

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/items/browse?collection=204.

New Additions to The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=3&coll=203.

New Collection: Orlando Gay Chorus Collection

One of the largest mixed gay choirs in the country, the Orlando Gay Chorus is comprised of individuals from all walks of life, ages, and orientations, including gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, as well as straight allies. Their mission is to change hearts and minds in Central Florida and around the world. In the wake of the tragic shooting at Pulse nightclub in June 2016, the chorus performed at a number of vigils, memorials and outreach events. This collection features oral history interviews with members of the chorus who share their experiences with the group as well as their thoughts regarding the tragedy.

Click here to browse the collection.

New Exhibit – Comics Fighting: An Underground War for LGBTQ Visibility

Comics Fighting: An Underground War for LGBTQ Visibility” was designed by Robert T. Smith, a student in UCF’s Department History, during his internship with the GLBT Museum of Central Florida. The exhibit centers on the use of story-telling through comics to expand visibility for the LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) Movement by diversifying the perception of the people in the community, emphasizing political issues that affected the community, and by integrating prevalent social issues into main stream media outlets.

New Additions to the Friends of Lake Apopka Collection

The Friends of Lake Apopka (FOLA) is a citizen advocacy group with the mission of restoring Lake Apopka in Orange County and Lake County, Florida. Due to poor farming practices along its shores, Lake Apopka has become one of the largest polluted lakes in Florida. This collection features various archival items related to the restoration of the lake.

To view this collection, please visit: https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=153&zoom=7.

New Additions to the Sky Lake Collection

Sky Lake is a residential community and unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida. It is located approximately seven miles south of Downtown Orlando between Lancaster Road and Sand Lake Road. The community was developed in late 1950s and 1960s by Hymen Lake. Houses originally sold in the range of $10,000 to $15,000. In the 1970s, Sky Lake became one of the first housing developments to be racially integrated. The community was originally proposed to include one thousand homes within the middle of the square mile block and a ring of commercial developments along the perimeter.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=179&zoom=13&lat=28.46103&lon=-81.39257.

New Exhibit: The Building and Beyond: Orlando’s Post Office and Its Evolving Community

From its construction onward, the Downtown Orlando Post Office has been a physical symbol of the growing and evolving city that surrounds it. Opened in 1941, the post office experienced many changes that reflected national and local social and economic transformations. Demographic shifts, wars, economic booms and downturns, and social conflicts were reflected in the history of the Orlando Post Office. This exhibit examines the impact of some of these changes on the building itself and the people who worked there or used the agency’s services. Viewing the building over time allows us to see the impact it had on Orlando and to glimpse a reflection of the city itself. The post office building was more than just a government edifice; it became a symbol of the city that surrounds it.

At the beginning of the 20th century, Orlando was remarkably different from the city that is is today. The local economy, which relied on the citrus industry, had survived two devastating freezes in the winter of 1894-1895 to develop into a bustling town by 1900. As growth continued in the 1910s and 1920s, Orlando faced numerous infrastructural and logistical challenges. When the post office at Jefferson Street was conceived in the mid-1930s, it became a symbol of economic revitalization that the city sorely needed in the depths of the Great Depression.

To explore this exhibit, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/omeka/exhibits/show/building.

New Collection: The Watermark Collection

Since 1994, The Watermark has been the cornerstone source of LGBTQ+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others) centered news for the Central Florida region. Founded by Tom Dyer in Orlando, the publication began generating bi-weekly issues beginning August 31, 1994. Since then, The Watermark has consistently published newspaper style issues every other Thursday. Gaining traction, the publication expanded in 1995 to include Tampa and, in 1997, The Watermark became a permanent piece of LGBTQ+ culture when the publication initiated the first large-scale Gay Days Weekend event, the Beach Ball at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon. Before 1999, the publication printed 20,000 copies every week, distributing them to over 500 locations between its two major cities. Following 1999, the publication launched watermarkonline.com shifting to an online publication style. In 2016, Rick Claggett purchased The Watermark.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=3&coll=203.

New Collection: Sky Lake Collection

Sky Lake is a residential community and unincorporated area in Orange County, Florida. It is located approximately seven miles south of Downtown Orlando between Lancaster Road and Sand Lake Road. The community was developed in late 1950s and 1960s by Hymen Lake. Houses originally sold in the range of $10,000 to $15,000. In the 1970s, Sky Lake became one of the first housing developments to be racially integrated. The community was originally proposed to include one thousand homes within the middle of the square mile block and a ring of commercial developments along the perimeter.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=179&zoom=13&lat=28.46103&lon=-81.39257.

New Collection: Florida Historical Quarterly Podcast Collection

The Florida Historical Quarterly is the academic journal published four times per year by the Florida Historical Society in cooperation with the Department of History at the University of Central Florida. Each issue features peer-reviewed articles focusing on a wide variety of topics related to Florida history.
To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&zoom=5&coll=184.

New Collection: Parramore Collection

Bordered on the east by Division Street and on the west by Orange Blossom Trail (OBT), the Parramore began as an agricultural community. Parramore was historically a segregated African-American community and now comprises three separate downtown neighborhoods: Lake Dot, Callahan, and Holden-Parramore.

Once an economically thriving area and the home of many prominent black businesses and institutions, including the Wells’ Built Hotel, South Street Casino, and Wallace’s Beauty Mill, Parramore suffered under Jim Crow segregation, and has lost 65 percent of its population in the last 50 years. It is now one of Orlando’s poorest neighborhoods, with an unemployment rate of 23.8 percent in 2015. However, neighborhood institutions like the Well’s Built Museum of African American History and Culture, housed in the historic Wells’ Built Hotel, have worked to preserve memorabilia from Orlando’s African-American community and the local civil rights movement. Current plans to revitalize the Parramore area focus on maintaining its black heritage and culture while building new businesses, schools, and improved housing.

To explore this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=180&zoom=14&lat=28.519458&lon=-81.3941446.

New Collection: Viking Cemetery Collection

Viking Cemetery is one of the last remaining pieces of the small town of Viking, Florida. The area was first settled in 1892 by Major B. Daniels (1860-1947), who used the land largely to grow pineapple, a significant crop in Florida at the time. By 1895, Norwegian immigrant Jens Helseth (1858-1944) moved to the area and also grew pineapple on his 80-acre farm. From these early homesteads, the tiny village of Viking grew, named so due to the abundance of Scandinavian families who settled there. Helseth granted a portion of his homestead to serve as the community cemetery by 1905, the date of the first interment. It has since then served the descendants of Helseth, his family, and friends in the small community. The cemetery is today privately owned by the great-great grandchildren of  Helseth, who maintain the site.

Viking Cemetery has been recorded as part of the Florida Historic Cemetery Recording Project (FLHCRP), a project managed by the Florida Public Archaeology Network (FPAN). This survey was undertaken with the assistance of students from Indian River State College (IRSC) under Dr. Kyle Freund. As part of their class to learn archaeological field methods, students assisted in recording Viking Cemetery. They were also responsible for the production of all metadata associated with the survey. Viking Cemetery is a small historic cemetery that represents interment styles of the early settler period of Florida to today. There are currently 59 grave markers in the cemetery, 10 of which have death dates before 1950.

The mid-20th century in Florida saw a significant population boom after World War II. Generally, the date of 1950 provides an interesting, though in part arbitrary, point of reference to examine the effects of this population increase in regards to grave marker material and style. Of the 10 individual markers dating to before 1950, seven are made of granite and three of marble. After 1950, no grave markers are made of marble and nearly all are manufactured out of granite. This, in small scale, represents shifting consumer choices in grave marker material choices that are exhibited in many historic cemeteries in Florida. The use of marble as a material for grave markers declines as the more durable granite becomes cheaper and easier to procure through the growth of rail lines in the state and the mass distribution systems of companies like Aears, Roebuck & Company and Montgomery Ward. This examination of grave marker material change over time is one of many ways that these important sites allow us to encounter history.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=178&zoom=20&lat=27.520962&lon=-80.357211.

New Collection: Orlando City Hall Collection

Historic artifacts from an exhibit created by Orlando Remembered at the Orlando City Hall, located at 400 South Orange Avenue in Downtown Orlando, Florida. This exhibit houses objects relating to Orlando’s municipal government. The current building opened in July of 1991. The former city hall was located directly in front of current building and was in operation from 1958 to 1991. The exhibit features photographs and memorabilia from past Orlando mayors dating back to 1932.

Orlando Remembered is a community based group, dedicated to the preservation of Downtown Orlando’s past. To date, the group has constructed 18 exhibits in the downtown area that highlight the current building’s connection to the past.

To view this collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=173&zoom=14&lat=28.53799&lon=-81.379123.

New Collection: Epinal American Cemetery Collection

The Florida Epinal Cemetery Project seeks to tell the stories of the U.S. servicemen from Florida buried in the Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in eastern France. The U.S. Army soldiers and airmen buried in Epinal gave their lives to secure the liberation of France and in the fight against Nazi Germany in 1944 and 1945. Starting in 2015, and over the next several years, students in Dr. Amelia Lyons’ classes are writing biographies of the men from Florida to honor them, to learn the skills of historical research, and to bring their memory to a new generation in Florida and in France.

To view the collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/?s=1&coll=172&lat=36.257929&lon=-41.945179&zoom=3.

New Collection: Westinghouse Electric Collection

Originally called the Westinghouse Electric Company, George Westinghouse (1846-1914) founded his manufacturing company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on January 8, 1886. In 1889, he renamed his business the The Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. Westinghouse’s primary products include turbines, generators, motors and switchgear related to the generation, transmission, and use of electricity. The company changed its name to Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1945. In 1981, the company began to relocate its divison headquarters for the Steam-Turbine Generator Divisions from Pennsylvania (turbines from Lester and generators from Pittsburgh) to Orlando, Florida. The Power Generation Business Unit (PGBU) building was located in The Quadrangle, at 4400 Alafaya Trail. Originally, Westinghouse had purchased a large plot of land for future development that extended westward from Alafaya Trail to Rouse Road. The original headquarters was located on several acres of that land parcel close to Alafaya Trail.

In 1994, after a major corporate management shuffling, and a top-level decision to change from an industrial manufacturing company to primarily a broadcasting/communications company, Westinghouse bought the CBS Network and changed its name to the CBS Corporation. As the PGBU grew in size, other buildings in the area were leased and then, after PGBU was sold to Siemens Corporation of Germany in 1998, additional buildings (Quad II and Quad III) were added to the original complex at the Quadrangle. From 1998 to 2003 the Orlando operation was known as Siemens-Westinghouse, after which the name of Westinghouse was dropped. The operation has been known as Siemens from that time forward.

To view the collection, please visit https://richesmi.cah.ucf.edu/map/?s=1&coll=169.

New Items – Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection

Dr. Calvin Fowler Collection includes images, documents, and other archival items donated by Dr. Calvin “Cal” D. Fowler, who was the manager of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 14 during the final three launches of Project Mercury.

To view the collection on the interactive map, click here.